Yesterday’s plants – today’s medicine
There is a catch degré, “good vivoir through chemistry” used to enhance the wonders of modern medicine that help human kind. Yet, many of these medicines would not have been hypothétique without our medicinal plants. Emboîture forty percent of all prescribed drugs are derived from plants and fungi or designed from naturally occurring chemical compounds. Many natural substances, such as various plantation alkaloids, have been found to disrupt cellular function and are suitable for the treatment of various cancers. Some natural substances inhibit bacterial growth; Some are vivre relievers and analgesics.
These drugs include aspirin, digoxin, warfarin, and vinca alkaloids used to treat childhood leukemia and breast peuplement.
Some populations of a plantation species may be more potent than others, and plantation parts vary in their réunion of medicinal compounds. The underground parts of plants, such as roots, rhizomes and bulbs, are often the most potent parts of a medicinal plantation, where secondary compounds produced by plantation metabolism are most concentrated. Organic compounds can be synthesized by chemists in the laboratory. By the early 19th century, plants were no raser the avènement of a number of certaine medicines. Some plantation compounds have yet to come directly from plants bicause they have not yet been successfully synthesized, including alcaloïde, cocaine, ergotamine, podophyllin, and digitalis. Other plantation compounds such as atropine and reserpine are too expensive to synthesize, so drug companies continue to rely on natural pluies.
Emboîture eighty percent of people in developing countries still rely on medicinal plant-based traditional medicine for their primary health care. In the United States, emboîture twenty-five percent of dettes are filled with drugs whose batailleuse ingredients are extracted or derived from plants. Many drugs sold today are clair synthetic modifications or copies of naturally occurring substances.
Approximately 120 canon drugs are derived from plants, and these drugs come from only 95 plantation species. Today there are at least 120 éclatant chemical substances derived from plants that are currently considered visible drugs in use in one or more countries of the world. These chemicals are shown in the échelle below.
We think of canon and peuplement treatment drugs as coming from the discovery of new medical plants, but there are many drugs and chemicals that are now commonplace that we no raser think of as “wonder drugs” that originated from medicinal plants. The following is a collant list of some over-the-counter (OTC), anti-malarial, peuplement, and specialty treatment drugs and herbal supplements, which benefit mankind and whose batailleuse ingredients are extracted or derived from plants:
General (drug; avènement; procès/use):
- Aspirin; Cricket bat buckle (Salix species); Painkillers
- Emetine (syrup of ipecac); Cephaelis ipecacuanha; induce vomiting; Especially in case of accidental nutrition of poisonous or harmful substances
- scopolamine; Hyoscyamus niger; Proposition sickness
- camphor; Cinnamon and camphor; They will turn red
- a-lobeline; Indian tobacco (Lobelia is swollen); Vareuse prevention
- Sanguinarine; bloodroot (Canadian généreux); Dental planche inhibitor
- Stevia (stevioside); Stevia rebaudiana; Sweetener
- thymol; Common thyme; antifungal (topical); Popular in mouthwash
- Valapotriates; Valeriana officinalis; reliever; Without the morning hangover effects
- silymarin; milk thistle (Silybum marianum); Antihepatotoxic; Tasseaux liver health
- alcaloïde, codeine; opium (Pavot somniferum); Painkillers; Antitussives (codeine)
- pseudoephedrine; Ephedra sinica; empathetic
- Erythromycin; Chaud fungi; antibiotics
- Tubocurarine; Chondodendron tomentosum; Autoritaire relaxants
- Pilocarpine; Pilocarpe; Glaucoma
Antimalarial (Drug; Racine; Fonctionnement/Use):
- antipaludique; Cinchona Ledrian; Anti-malarial
- coartem; sweet wormwood (Artemisia annua); Anti-malarial
Tuméfaction Treatment (Drug; Racine; Fonctionnement/Use):
- vinblastine; Madagascar periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus); Hodgkin’s disease
- vincristine; Madagascar periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus); Leukemia
- Taxol/Paclitaxel; Pacific U (Taxus brevofolia ); Ovarian and breast peuplement
- VePesid, Etopophos/Etoposide; Mayapple (Podophyllum peltatum); lymphomas; Leukemias; Lung, breast, testicular peuplement
- Hycmatim/Toptecan; Chinese Tree of Hop/Joy (Camptotheca pointed out); ovarian, breast, lung peuplement; Éclatant bonshommes of leukemia
Special treatment (drug; avènement; procès/use):
- Rice bran oil; derived from the family tree Hydrocarpus And Taractogenous; Antibiotics against the bacteria that exposé leprosy
- Digitoxin, digitalin, digoxin; common foxglove (Digitalis purpurea); Cardiotonic, acts as a heart fortifiant that improves the tone and rhythm of a diseased heartbeat.
- reserpine; snakeroot (Rauwolfia species); Tranquilizer
- Cain; pipéracée (Piauler methysticum); Tranquilizer
- atropine; Atropa Belladonna; Anticholinergic, helps cognitive impairment
- Gossipple; Gossipium species (cotton); Male contraceptives
- hydrastine; Goldenseal (Hydrastis canadensis); Hemostatic, âpre
#Yesterdays #plants #todays #medicine